Tuesday 1 May 2012

Red Button Zoom

After some feedback I had on my animatic from my Tutors, I was told that my ending of my short film was a little confusing. Through production we were intent on staying with our original opening. However I started having strong doubts and a new gut feeling that I should solidify with Thaxnay, a new, tighter ending that fit nicely. Through consulting with another classmate (James Ensor) the three of us came up with the idea of having a red button, that the scientist would press, as a last resort which would then link up with our original ending of him meeting his demise. The scene where he notices the button was not a difficult process to do. The model had been built, I quickly modelled a red button, which has slight angled trimming around the edge, which didn't go entirely to plan, but as I become further experienced with modelling, I will be able to resolve this problem for future films. However, breaking the illusion of that, even though it should appear seamless to the unaware eye, the way I have used the camera to zoom into the shot, should hide this. I wanted to play around with what could be done with a camera in Maya. We had 3D Stereoscopic camera's in Maya, and I wanted to see where else we could go, how high we could take this to get a new effect that we'd not already used in the film upto now, to keep some fresh consistency in there, so I motion blurred the camera in the zoom, which gladly builds on the intense, rapid/zany feel Thax and me want to throw out there.  Before the camera zooms us in, the 3D really, gives a deep atmosphere, there's a lot of depth in this scene, and the 3D for me, makes this shot feel more like a window, than a screen, and it's a wonderfully working illusion that I am proud of. However! Always a glitch! because the button is RED, and one of our lenses on our 3D glasses are...RED, the RED button looks particularly bright RED! In the shot, which may cause distress on the eyes. But since, old movies, and old 3D movies kind of did that to people, because it wasn't that advanced yet, we thought we'd leave that.